Who is our "management company," what do they do, and how do I reach them?

Worthy Association Management is the management company. They are contracted by the Board of Directors to provide such services as: collection of assessments, supervision of subcontractors, obtaining bids for subcontracted services, providing financial statements and collection reports, as well as a general clearing house for problem solving, communications with homeowners and the Board of Directors and to serve in an advisor capacity. The management company reports directly to the Board and all decisions are made by a majority vote of the Board of Directors. The management company may be reached online or by phone through the Contacts page on this website.

What is a homeowner's association?

It is a non-profit corporation registered with the State and managed by a duly elected Board of Directors. Its purpose is to maintain all common areas and to govern the community in accordance with the provision of the legal documents: Protective Covenants, Bylaws, and Articles of Incorporation. The corporation is financially supported by all members of the homeowners association. Membership is both automatic and mandatory.

What are the Bylaws and Protective Covenants?
The Bylaws and Protective Covenants are the governing legal documents that set up the guidelines for the operation of the community as a non-profit corporation. The Bylaws and Protective Covenants were recorded by the County recorder’s office of Henderson County, NC. You should have received a copy of the Bylaws and Protective Covenants at closing. Failure to abide by the Bylaws and Protective Covenants may result in a fine to a homeowner. See the Bylaws page for copies.
What are the Bylaws?
The Bylaws are the guidelines for the operation of the non-profit corporation. The Bylaws define the duties of the various offices of the Board of Directors, the terms of the Directors, the membership’s voting rights, required meetings and notices of meetings, and the principal office of the Association, as well as other specific items that are necessary to run the Association as a business.
What is the Board of Directors?
The Homeowner’s Association again is a corporation and therefore a governing body that is required to oversee its business. The Board of Directors is elected by the homeowners, or as otherwise specified in the bylaws. The limitation and restrictions of the powers of the Board of Directors is outlined in the Association governing documents.
If I want to serve on a committee, how do I find out what committees are active and how I can get involved?
Contact a member of the board if you are interested in serving on or chairing a committee or wish to become a board member.
What is my assessment?
The assessment is the periodic amount due from each homeowner to cover the operating expenses of the common area and provide for reserve funds for replacement of common facilities in future years. Your assessments are due on a monthly basis.
How is the amount of my assessment determined?
The assessment is based on the anticipated budget. This budget is set upon specific guidelines for exterior maintenance, landscaping, administration, reserve funds, etc. Reserve funds are monies set aside for future expenses due to the life expectancy of certain items such as roofs. Budgets are developed by the Board of Directors and adjusted periodically to meet anticipated expenses.
Will my assessment go up?
There is no concrete answer to this. It is not unusual for associations to have increases. The Board of Directors may approve an increased budget, increasing your assessment in order to cover increased costs of operating and maintaining the common area and sufficient reserve funds.
What happens if I don't pay my assessment?
The maintenance and management services incurred by the Association are dependent upon timely receipt of the assessments due from each homeowner. Late payments will result in increased costs for contacting homeowners. In addition, the Bylaws and Protective Covenants allow the Association to charge interest and proceed with a lien on your property as well as deny voting rights for nonpayment of assessments.
Can I pay my Assessment by Direct Deposit?

The Association can draft dues checks directly from your account at your bank if you wish. This will insure that your payments do not fall behind. If you wish to set this up, please contact the current management company. 

What insurance coverage does the association have?
The Association maintains liability Insurance for the common area and actions of the Association and crime insurance to protect against theft. It does NOT have insurance to cover any part of your residence inside or outside. You must maintain insurance for that.
When and where is Garbage picked up?

Garbage and recyclables are picked up on Thursday. Generally, if there is a holiday, the garbage and recyclables will be picked up on Friday. Pickup is in the morning usually between 8:00 am and 10:00 am. The Town does recycling (blue bags). Garbage pickup is included in your town taxes.

What is the deal on the roads to the far units at the end of Laurel Park Place and South Park Place?

The roads that extend from the cul-de-sacs at the and of South and Laurel Park Places are Association property, not town roads so are subject to Association rules. They do not receive Town maintenance such as repair and snow removal. To have the Town assume maintenance of them, they would have to be brought up to state standards (40’ right of way, 16’ width with a cul-de-sac at the end). The cost to do this would be prohibitive to the Association.

Where can I catch the bus to town, to Wal-Mart or to the airport?

The nearest bus stop is in front of Ingles/Eckerds. Use this link for schedules

Where can I get a Town Welcome Packet?

The Town of Laurel Park will give you a Welcome Packet. Just stop by the town hall at the corner of White Pine Drive and Laurel Park Highway (Fifth Ave) across from our town park. The packet includes:

  • Garbage Information  – schedule, holiday information on pickups, and recycling information
  • Residential Security Check Form – If you fill one of these out or call the Laurel Park Police Department with the information before a trip, the police will check your house every day and give you a summary form when you return.
  • Map of the Town of Laurel Park – Free map of all the streets (and how to find Jump Off Rock).
  • Laurel Park Civic Association membership Application. Our town’s Civic Association is working on a number of restoration projects including Crystal Springs.
  • Free Calendar from the Police Department. Stop by at the beginning of each year for a new one.
  • Business Directory of Laurel Park.
  • Town and Civic Association current newsletter.
  • Magnet of important town phone numbers.
  • Brochures.
Where are the nearest ATMs?

At the Wells Fargo Bank. However, there are free ATMs (no charge if you don’t bank with them) at any Cashpoints ATMs which are run by the State Employees Credit Union.

Where is the water shutoff for my home?

Every home has a shutoff valve located near the floor on the main level. It is usually in a front closet. You might wish to make a note of its location so you know where it is in case of a plumbing emergency. Some residents have put things in their closet blocking it not realizing it was there.

What is that big pump in my lower level or crawlspace?

Many of the residences at the higher elevations have a pump unit to increase pressure during the summer. If you live at a higher elevation, you might want to talk to your neighbors about issues associated with it.

What is the deal on my heating system?

Your heating system may be a high efficiency Apollo system integrated with the water heater which was installed by the builder. The water heater provides the heat for your house so turning it down while on vacation during the winter may mean no heat in your house. Talk to a knowledgeable neighbor if you have any questions.

Can I have a satellite dish?

Yes. However, all satellite dishes must be approved IN ADVANCE (before you schedule the installer to come out). The Association rules can be obtained from Paramount Properties or viewed on the “Bylaws, Covenants, Rules and Fines” web page.

Can I make changes to the outside of my unit?

ALL changes, including (but not limited to) removing plants or trees, installing anything that penetrates the walls or roof of your unit, any painting or any modification to the exterior of your unit MUST be approved IN ADVANCE. In addition, any changes you make become your responsibility (and that of the future owners) unless the Association agrees to accept responsibility for future maintenance.

Where can I find tax and other information about my property?

The county website  will show tax, deed, and other information for all property in Henderson County.
Link to county website

Does the Association have a reserve for when the roofs need to be replaced?

Yes, the association puts aside money every year to a reserve fund for future maintenance of roofs, siding and decks. This is done to avoid having a large assessment when this work needs to be done. The moneys are invested in conservative bonds and money market funds. By doing this, the value of your home is enhanced as you can use this as a selling point since a buyer will not be faced with as large an assessment if new roofs are required due to scheduled maintenance. The roofs were last replaced in 2010-2011.

Workers doing association-paid maintenance on common grounds or on a neighbor’s siding have used my electricity or water. Is that fair?

Sometimes, when working on a unit or on common grounds, it may be necessary to find the nearest electric outlet. Similarly, when doing pressure washing or painting, a worker may connect to the most convenient water source. Electricity costs about 2¢ to use a 200 watt tool for an hour of continuous use. Pressure washing a house may take 100 gallons which costs about a dollar and cleaning paint brushes after painting a deck may use 10¢ worth of water. We could require that a contractor provide his own electric generator and water but that would cost us far more than the small amount that you might end up paying and would drastically limit the potential number of contractors costing us more in reduced competition.

When do I need Association (Board) approval for modifications or work on or around my house?

All work on the outside of your home needs approval. This includes (but is not limited to) the following:

  • Any action that modifies the exterior or involves a penetration though walls or roof such as vents, screening, etc.
  • Any painting of any exterior surface including decks, stairs walls, etc.
  • Any planting, removal or addition of grass or ground cover, trees, bushes or adds/modifies  watering systems, lighting or planting areas.
  • Any “permanent” object that is added/removed such as rain barrels, lawn decorations, etc.
  • Any work on common ground such as repaving or sealing of asphalt, improvements or repairs/changes to concrete sidewalks.

All work must be submitted in writing (email or letter) to the Board IN ADVANCE via the Management Company and approval must be received PRIOR to beginning any work.

If there is Association-paid work that needs doing and I do it myself or have someone else do it, can I be reimbursed?
It is up to the Association to decide when and if work is to be done. You may wish to request PRIOR TO DOING ANYTHING that the Board allow you to do such work or have it done and be reimbursed. However, do NOT expect to be reimbursed for such work. If reimbursement is permitted by the Board, it will be for not more than the Board’s estimate of having such work done by the Association; approval must be obtained in advance; and work must meet board standards.
I think that my unit needs painting, cleaning, driveway repair or other maintenance? Why hasn’t it been done?

On alternate years during the spring, your neighbors on the building committee and board members check the outside of half the units to see which need maintenance. They look at deck cleaning and painting, sidewalks, siding, front and garage doors and trim, driveways and more. All work is prioritized based upon the need and budget available. The list is given to the board which decides what work will be done. They in turn direct the management company to seek bids or hire someone. The work is scheduled based upon contractor and worker availability, weather conditions and schedule needs (cleaning before painting). If you feel your unit needs work, contact Paramount early in the year so the committee has your request and can be sure to check it more thoroughly. After this time, only urgent work will be considered. Owners are welcome to ask the board to be part of this or any other committee.

I have had a leak in my roof. What will the Association do?

Given that the damage is caused by normal leaks and not by hurricanes or similar high wind or other external conditions, the association will repair the roof when necessary. In addition, the association will apply stain blocking primer on ceilings discolored by the leak. However, since the primer may not match the original ceiling color, it is the homeowner’s responsibility for repainting the ceiling or for any interior repairs. This decision was passed unanimously by the board in March of 2007.

Can I install a generator at my house?

The Board of Directors voted to permit generators subject to certain guidelines. Contact the current management company for a copy of those guidelines. Approval must be obtained in advance before contracting with any company.

Who is responsible for the maintenance of my screen door?

The individual owner is responsible. The association is responsible for maintenance of the front and garage steel doors (but not the mechanisms) but not any screen doors.

Who is responsible for the maintenance of my mailbox?

The Association will repair or replace mailboxes and posts when they become unusable or are damaged by insects or rot. Do not paint or replace mailboxes or posts. Changes must be approved by the Association. If your mailbox or post is hit by a vehicle and damaged, the driver is responsible for paying for repair or replacement. Please do not put any ivy or object on the mailbox. Temporary decorations such as Christmas decorations are acceptable. Do not paint mailbox. Mailboxes can be made to shine by using WD-40.

I think my roof needs replacing. What do I do?

The Association is responsible for the maintenance of roofs and regularly assesses when repair or replacement is due. If your roof is damaged by  hurricanes, falling trees or other non-maintenance reasons, contact your insurance company as  you are supposed to have windstorm coverage. The association will decide when, in what order, and with what material the roofs will be replaced when their useful life has ended. If you decide you want to replace your roof at your expense or if your insurance company will repair or replace the roof, you must get association approval both for the work and the material used.

Is our web page costing us a lot of money?

Surprisingly, it costs very little. We pay only a few dollars each month for the hosting. A major cost would be for someone to design and maintain it but it is being done by one of the many neighbor volunteers. Our cost is $4 per month vs. sending a printed newsletter which costs $39 just for the postage.

Can I have a boat, trailer, or Motor Home?

No. The Town of Laurel Park Zoning Ordinance Article X Section 1008 prohibits parking them on your lot unless they are garaged or screened in a Town-approved way. Since the parking places and all other property not under the footprint of your home are common ground, the Association would have to approve a garage or screened area and that will not occur. The Association Covenants also prohibits and limits vehicles other than automobiles or non-commercial trucks.

I want to match the paint used on our decks for my enclosed patio. What was used?

The “paint” is a solid color Deck Stain, not paint.( see Ruies, Association Standard Paint Colors).  It is Sherwin-Williams Super-Deck tinted to Laurel Park Place Grey available at the local Sherwin-Williams store in downtown Hendersonville. Note, that painting any outside surface without prior permission of the Association is prohibited and may subject you to correcting the issue.

Where can I find those hard to find 10” x 10” filters that the builder used in the return air duct on my lower level?

They are available from Coastline Distribution/ Baker Distributing Co. on Ashe Street (just off 7th) in Hendersonville.

Will the landscapers mulch this year?

We mulch the front and sides every other year (even numbered years) in the spring and the backs the alternate year (odd numbered years).